Artist Commission, Art AI Festival
We are seeking to commission an artist to produce a screen-based artificial intelligence-based artwork in response to the Art AI Festival 2021 programme and stakeholder feedback. The artwork should be something that a general public audience can appreciate, understand and learn from – a remit that is consistent with the ethos of AAF.
This commission is for AAF (see www.art-ai.io) and the award made will be consistent with terms of funding provided by Arts Council England.
The commission is a legacy artwork of Art AI Festival 2021.
We are offering £5,000 to an artist to create an original artwork that responds to the AAF 2021 programme and a dataset of text content from analysis of feedback derived from the festival stakeholders. The artist may be a collective but the fee will be paid to one nominated person (or business entity representing the artist/s).
The goal of AAF is to showcase artificial intelligence in ways that demonstrate its emerging capabilities, creative applications and key challenges with its use and application (see www.art-ai.io/about).
The artworks included in AAF 2021 demonstrated AIs of different types – we identified three themes from the work: faces, patterns, words. Your work may comprise any representation of AAF 2021 but will not reappropriate original artworks provided by artists in the programme. Documentation from the artworks such as video teasers and artist talks can be used. An archive of photographs and images collected during AAF 2021 can be made accessible for use in the commission if required. The feedback provided by stakeholders is also a key component of the artwork that we would like to see explored in the commission. The text dataset highlights what people know/don’t know about AI, the value of the festival and impacts and potential of digital art on the cityscape. You may of course choose to create or to use and incorporate other publicly accessible datasets pertaining to Leicester and the environs of the AAF 2021.
Available datasets for use in the work is –
- A description of the programme work (AAF 2021 website, www.art-ai.io/programme)
- Artwork tasters of installations for AAF 2021 (www.youtube.com/ArtAIFestival)
- Artist talks for AAF 2021 (youtube)
- Photography and image collection of AAF 2021 (by request)
- Text file of Leicester commentary on 16 Leicester points of interest created for Hello Lamp Post AAF 2021 installation (by request)
- Text files of stakeholder feedback on AAF 2021 (to be provided)
Your work will be primarily visual (rather than text) and possibly interactive in some way. It should be connected to Leicester, reflecting the home of the AAF, which can be achieved through the dataset used. If audio is to be an interaction mode, then you will need to demonstrate how a general public audience may access this.
Your artwork should be screen based and the work should ‘articulate a response’ to the multimedia dataset from AAF 2021. Screen/s may be any format (eg., mobile, computer, projection) but should include the potential to exhibit the work on a landscape or portrait 65” plasma.
You will be expected to work with the AAF team in the development of the work, giving regular updates on progress.
We expect an artist talk about the work to be delivered as part of the commission, albeit at a time later in the year to coincide with the artwork on display. We anticipate the talk will be online live stream, rather than in person.
The commission fee includes expenses incurred in the making and testing of the work.
The commission will be a legacy of Art AI Festival 2021 and will become a piece that we will showcase as a lead in to our next funding application and event in 2023.
We aim to exhibit the commissioned work in Leicester from mid October 2022.
Submitting a Proposal
- A detailed description with schematics of the artwork concept (est. 3 sides A4)
- A method statement for audience interaction with the artwork, including any requirements for prior knowledge the audience needs to have (est. 1 side A4)
- A technical specification for the artwork (can be preliminary)
- An overview of the type of public location for the artwork
- A CV including portfolio of relevant works demonstrating experience with the creative and technical requirements for delivering the artwork
- Clarity of vision for the artwork and its connection to the AAF 2021 and feedback dataset
- Creative nature of the artwork and its use of contemporary/appropriate AIs
- Empathy with AAF ethos of making artwork accessible to a general public audience
- Accessibility of the artwork to a broad audience of general public, including consideration of diversity and inclusion (consistent with Arts Council England’s Creative Case for Diversity remit)
- Judges: Prof Tracy Harwood (DMU/Director, Art AI Festival), Luba Elliott (curator, Art AI Festival), Irina Tsokova (Phoenix Digital Arts Manager)
Deliverables (on commission)
- Artwork (potentially in different screen formats for eg., mobile, computer, plasma, projection, gallery or LED) including technical specification for showcase
- Good quality images of the artwork and artist for promotional purposes
- Detailed description of the work for promotional materials, information boards, website, etc
- Artist talk about the work and creative practice insight (say, 40 minutes, online)
- Deadline for delivery: mid October 2022 (we anticipate confirming the commission asap with the artist to begin work on the project at end August 2022)
- We are able to provide screens (number tbc) and have available basic computational equipment that can be used for running the artwork (details tbc)
- The delivered artwork must be capable of running for an extended period of time, with minimal technical or venue support required
- Showcase: we aim to showcase the work in a number of venues in Leicester over a period of time initially from mid-October until Christmas 2022. We will also include the work in our 2023 Art AI Festival programme and the work may be offered to other festivals as appropriate. The Art AI Festival team reserve the right to showcase in venues albeit the exact venue/s will be subject to discussion with the artist, in consideration of the nature of the work, the most appropriate methods for public engagement, and subject to availability of venues
- Promotion: a separate budget has been set aside for promotional materials and to support the installation/destallation of the work with a technician, should that be required
A contract will be signed to confirm agreement, issued by De Montfort University (holder of Arts Council Funding grants for AAF) see draft below.
Contact and Proposal Submission
Proposals should be submitted by email (and/or via WeTransfer) to BOTH addresses – Prof Tracy Harwood, Director Art AI Festival, email: firstname.lastname@example.org & ArtAIFest@gmail.com
CONTRACT FOR ART AI FESTIVAL ARTIST COMMISSION
AGREEMENT dated by and between [De Montfort University] and
[ ] (hereinafter called “Artist“).
1. De Montfort University has contracted Artist for the following services for which Artist shall be compensated by De Montfort University as follows:
A. £5,000 as a fee for artwork commissioned as per brief agreed
2. The commission listed above embodies the entire scope of Artist‘s work on De Montfort University‘s project, and further services required by De Montfort University shall necessitate a new written agreement before commencement of work.
3. As De Montfort University is aware, creative work requires an individual to develop their own unique process for accomplishing work goals with the desired results and within the desired timeframe. To this end, Artist has found the following work process best suited to their needs:
A. create work
B. first drafts and tests
C. revision and selection of final style
D. production of final style
E. final revisions
F. final artwork
4. As a coordination between Artist and De Montfort University, and their respective desires for a timely tailor-made product, work on the commission will proceed according to the following timeline:
A. 1st September 2022 commission commence
B. 15th October 2022 commission complete
5. De Montfort University agrees to adhere to the following fee structure (structure includes services rendered), with payment to Artist due no later than 30 days after receipt of invoice:
A. Payment on completion of artwork
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
USAGE & LICENSING:
Title to all design is maintained by Artist until final payment is received. After full payment, exclusive use of all customized design & assets created in this agreement are transferred to De Montfort University. Usage is unlimited and includes web, broadcast, right to modify or re-sell designs, characters or animations. Artist retains all rights to any elements of deliverables that are part of Artist’s own process and are not specifically designed and/or created for De Montfort University, including, but not limited to: tools, methodologies, know-how, data or objects, and documentation associated with the artwork. However, on final payment Artist grants a perpetual, irrevocable, limited, exclusive, transferable, worldwide license, with the right to grant sub-licenses, to use in connection with the work or products created under this agreement.
Artist guarantees, to the best of their integrity, knowledge and belief, that the work created will not violate the copyright of any other party. Should judgment arise after artwork completion, Artist will not be liable for similarities. De Montfort University guarantees that (a) it owns all right, title, and interest in, or otherwise has full right and authority to permit the use of any content provided to Artist for incorporation into the creative work product, (b) to the best of knowledge, De Montfort University content does not infringe the rights of any third party, and use of content (as well as any trademarks) in connection with this artwork does not and will not violate the rights of any third parties, and (c) De Montfort University will comply with the terms and conditions of any licensing agreements which govern the use of third party materials incorporated into the Artist’s work product. De Montfort University agrees to be responsible for and hold the Artist harmless with this understanding.
Any upfront payment is not refundable if the project is dissolved before completion. If the project is dissolved all assets created at the point of termination shall be transferred by the Artist to De Montfort University in their entirety insofar as they have been developed by the Artist.
Prior to commencing any work or additional services that are beyond the scope of this agreement, the Artist will submit an estimate for the work/service, all parties will discuss it, and written permission will be required before proceeding.
PRIVACY & SHARING:
De Montfort University grants Artist permission to publish self-promotion arising from the commission.
THIS IS A BINDING DOCUMENT:
By moving forward with the project De Montfort University and the Artist agree to project terms, budget and to payment by invoice.
Prof Tracy Harwood (Art AI Festival Director) Date
on behalf of De Montfort University